NEW CARLISLE — Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana will join Girl Scouts throughout the nation to hold a candlelight vigil and service project Saturday in honor of the three Girl Scouts and volunteer parent who died last weekend in Wisconsin while performing community service.
The La Porte County vigil will be held at Memorial Park in New Carlisle at 300 W. Michigan Street, hosted by Girl Scout Community 205. Arrive by 3:45 p.m. and bring a candle and a canned food item that will be donated to Rolling Prairie United Methodist Church. If you would like to donate, all money collected will be sent to the Girl Scout families involved. Cards will be available for signing, as well as a collection box if you want to bring your own. Show your Girl Scout pride and wear your sash or vest. Contact Elldona Ferguson at 219-575-4876 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Timeline for event (all are eastern time):
• 3:45 p.m. — Arrival to Memorial Park in New Carlisle Start to light candles
• 3:55 p.m. — Start to light candles
• 4 p.m. — Moment of silence, prayers for the family, troop, and community Pledge of Allegiance, Girl Scout Promise and Girl Scout Law
• 4:30-5 p.m. — Food Donation in honor of our lost sister Girl Scouts
• Monetary donations of $1 or whatever you are willing to donate will be accepted to purchase a candle for the event. All money collected will be sent to the Girl Scout families involved. You are also able to bring your own candle if you would like. Limited lighters will be available. Bring a lighter if you are able to help your Girl Scout light her candle.
• There will be a card/letter box available. All Girl Scouts, families, and community members are encouraged to send a card (purchased or handmade) or letter. All cards/letters will be mailed together to the designated location to share with those directly suffering this loss.
• A specially designed patch will be given to all Girl Scouts that sign in as attended. The cost of the patch is $2. All proceeds will be donated to the Girls Scout families involved.
• GSNI-M Community 205 will be conducting a food drive in honor of the Girl Scouts and their Leader. We ask that if you are able to please consider bringing nonperishable items for a family holiday meal. The food will be donated to Rolling Prairie United Methodist Church following the vigil.
• This will not be an event that you are able to drop your Girl Scout off. The community is also invited to attend this event so please be sure to have at least one adult (or more) stay. And dress warm!