Q: My family was driving down the road the other day when a police car was driving by with the lights on and my dad said to my mom, “There goes the fuzz!” I asked him what that was and he said that’s what the police used to be called. We all laughed because I have never heard of this — is this really true?

A: I have not heard that one used for a long time. The “fuzz” was a derogatory slang term for police officers used in the late 60s/early 70s, popular among hippies. The research I have done states it originated in England as it referred to the felt covering on the helmet worn by members of the Metropolitan Police Service.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.