Q: I screwed up and received a speeding ticket in which I am guilty. I really don’t have the money and I don’t want my insurance to go up. I was told by a buddy of mine that if you fight it and go to court and the police officer does not show up for court that the case is thrown out and you automatically win. Is this really true?

A: Yes and no. All cases are at the discretion of the judge hearing the case. Some Judges do dismiss cases and others simply continue the case depending on the circumstances. I think the odds are against you....... Sometimes we have to pay for our mistakes.

Q: I just purchased a handgun from Big R and went right down to the police station to register it. The desk officer told me that you do not register guns. This does not make any sense if I have the gun with me in my car how would the police know it belongs to me?

A: Indiana law does not require registration of firearms owned by an individual. You must, however, have a handgun permit to carry or possess a weapon outside your residence or in your vehicle.

Q: My landlord is really mean and is trying to kick me out of my apartment. He said that he can put me and my stuff right out into the street! I haven’t really done anything wrong. I am desperate and need some legal advice. Can you help me?

A: Actually, when it comes to specific legal advice, you need to speak with an attorney. I suggest you contact the Volunteer Lawyer Network that serves La Porte County. They help with free legal assistance and representation. This program assists counties in the state of Indiana in the areas of Family Law, Adoptions, Guardianships, Foreclosure, Landlord/Tenant disputes, Consumer/Collections, Estate Law, Wills, Power of Attorneys, Health Care Directives, Contracts, Real Estate, Bankruptcy and Immigration.

They, however, do not assist with matters relating to traffic violations or criminal charges. Also, they do not accept fee generating cases such as personal injury, medical malpractice and wrongful death. You may contact them at 574-277-0075.

Q: I hope you can settle an argument my wife and I are having. We have seen handicapped parking signs in parking lots with different fines. Some state it is a $50 violation, and others a $100. My wife says it depends on the circumstances. I say it is all the same. Who’s right?

A: You both are correct. A state ticket for a handicapped parking violation in any circumstance is a fine of $100. Fines on private property, such as a college campus or city ordinance, may be anywhere from $15 to $100.

The winner of the $30 gas gift certificate sponsored by Scartozzi’s Trattoria Italian restaurant was Judith Galligan of Valparaiso. Let’s answer last column’s riddle of what was the relationship to the man who he saw in the wanted poster? It was of course his Son!

The sponsor of this week’s riddle is Larry Fegaras and our friends at Galveston Steakhouse in Michigan City. The winner receives a $30 gas card!

It is Christmas Shopping time and Holly promised to take her daughter Lydia shopping on the day before the fourth day after the day after tomorrow. If today is Sunday the 3rd, on what day and date will Holly take Lydia shopping?

The 6th correct answer by phone or email at exactly 1 p.m. today wins.

To answer a question or ask one, contact Sgt. Chris Yagelski at 873-1461, Ext #1020, or email ASKACOP@emichigancity.com.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.