WESTVILLE – Marquette Catholic High School, along with several other La Porte County schools, took home multiple awards in a recent Academic Super Bowl Invitational.
On Tuesday, Purdue Northwest announced the results from its 11th annual Senior Academic Super Bowl Invitational competition, which saw students from throughout Northwest Indiana competing on March 6 and 7 on the Westville campus.
“PNW is proud to welcome scholars for this round which we hope will prepare the teams for state competition!” said Dr. Karen Bishop-Morris, who welcomed the Porter County teams at the James Dworkin Student Services & Activities Center on the Westville campus.
The first night of Academic Super Bowl competition included teams from all nine Porter County public high schools: Boone Grove High School, Chesterton High School, Hebron High School, Kouts High School, Morgan Township High School, Portage High School, Valparaiso High School, Washington Township High School and Wheeler High School.
The team of students from Boone Grove High School placed first overall. Chesterton High School took second place and Valparaiso High School took third.
The following night included teams from greater La Porte County. Participating schools were from Elkhart Christian Academy; Home Scholars from Porter and La Porte counties; LaCrosse High School; La Porte High School; Marquette Catholic High School; New Prairie High School; North White High School and South Central High School.
The second night concluded with Home Scholars taking first place, North White High School in second and South Central High School in third place.
The competition theme was “The Fertile Crescent” with students competing in six subject areas – math, English, science, fine arts, social studies and interdisciplinary.
The La Porte County winners in each round were:
• Science – first – Home Scholars; second – New Prairie High School; third – La Porte High School
• English – first – Home Scholars; second – Elkhart Christian Academy; third – Marquette Catholic High School
• Fine Arts – first – Home Scholars; second –South Central High School; third – North White High School
• Social Studies – first – Home Scholars; second – South Central High School; third – Marquette Catholic High School
• Mathematics – first – North White High School; second – La Crosse High School; third – Elkhart Christian Academy; Interdisciplinary – first –Home Scholars; second –Elkhart Christian Academy; third – La Crosse High School
Super Bowl competition in Indiana is a part of the Indiana Association of School Principals, Department of Student Programs. This unique inter-scholastic academic competition program allows Indiana‘s senior high, junior, middle and elementary school students an opportunity to compete in academics similar to an athletic contest. The academic competitions encourage academic achievement by offering participants recognition and reward by honoring intellectual achievement, academic competition celebrating scholarship.